The Protected Market Segment
The “Protected Market Segment (GMS)” serves as an instrument for the prevention of homelessness in Berlin. The basis is a cooperation agreement between the State Office for Health and Social Affairs (LaGeSo), the district offices of Berlin and the housing industry.
A certain annual quota of apartments from municipal and private housing associations is allocated to groups of people who are considered to be particularly disadvantagedin the housing marketand are acutely threatened or already affected by homelessness – including women* who are affected by domestic violence.
Priority should be given to women* who are already accommodated in women’s shelters, refuge apartments or carrier housing with housing. But women* who are still in a situation of violence should also receive support in building alife-free life.
In addition to the specialist offices GMS of the Berlin districts, the asap e.V-Wohnungsvermittlung is entitled to accept, examine and approve applications for admission to the GMS.
Inclusion criteria for the protected market segment are:
- Acute threat or impact of homelessness
- Police registration in Berlin for at least 12 months
- Valid residence permit (WBS)
- Socio-educational connection to a specialist department (women’s shelter, shelter or carrier housing, specialist counselling centre or other social institutions)
- Debts and/or insolvency proceedings are not obstacles to filing an application!